Bref history of our mansion: It was built in 1885 and designed by. It was one of the first buildings in Saint Paul to use Lake Superior sandstone. . The first owner was in the lumber and coal business with James J. Hill. In 1939 the Mansion was donated to the St. Paul Gallery and School of Art. A large skylight was added to the roof at that time. Now its privately owned and they converted part of the mansion and the carriage house into apartments.